Daily Spectrum September 9, 1979

emilyasorensen Member Photo

Clipped by emilyasorensen

Daily Spectrum September 9, 1979 - Kimball okay after surgery SALT LAKE CITY (UPI)...
Kimball okay after surgery SALT LAKE CITY (UPI) Doctors said Mormon Church President Spencer W. Kimball was "doing fine" today after undergoing emergency surgery in the middle of the night for removal of a lump on the covering of his brain. "The President is resting well," said Dr. Bruce F. Sorensen, the surgeon who performed the operation on the 84-year-old 84-year-old 84-year-old 84-year-old 84-year-old church leader. "He is doing fine. We could not expect him to be doing any better. We are pleased with his progress," said Sorensen. Kimball, leader of the four-million-member four-million-member four-million-member four-million-member four-million-member Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Latter-day Latter-day Saints, entered LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City about 7 p.m. Thursday after experiencing weakness. Doctors performed the operation between 1 and 2 a.m. Church spokesman Jerry Cahill said surgeons removed a hematoma a swelling filled with blood from between .Kimball's skull and the covering of his brain. The lump had been causing pressure on his brain. "The doctors drained the area, and they expect a normal recovery. They believe the president will be able to resume his activities with no loss of function." said Cahill. "The president was aware and alert this morning. He visited with members of his family." The church spokesman said Kimball is expected to remain in the hospital about two weeks, but he should recover in time to preside at the church's semi-annual semi-annual semi-annual world conference in Salt Lake City Oct. 6-7. 6-7. 6-7. Cahill said Kimball experienced a "general weakening" throughout the day Thursday. The church leader spent the day in a heavy schedule of meetings with the Council of Twelve Apostles and other church leaders in the Salt Lake Mormon Temple. Kimball then went to Brigham City to visit relatives late in the afternoon. When he returned to Salt Lake, he became so ill aides notified his physician. Dr. Ernest L. Wilkinson Jr., who immediately hospitalized him. Sorensen said the lump was the type of growth which could have resulted from a bump on the head. It appeared to be three to four weeks old. But neither Kimball or other members of his family could recall any recent injury. The church leader was hospitalized for four days in July after he became dizzy on a trip to California. But the doctors doctors said they did not believe the latest illness was related. Kimball had been scheduled to undergo an operation for removal of a cataract on his left eye Saturday. But that surgery was postponed. He has previously had open heart surgery and an operation for throat cancer.

Clipped from
  1. The Daily Spectrum,
  2. 07 Sep 1979, Fri,
  3. Page 1

emilyasorensen Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in